Update on Waybackmachine

Here you can talk about anything, and everything!

Moderator: EN minimods

Update on Waybackmachine

Postby juleic1123 » Thu Oct 10, 2024 5:24 pm

Hello everyone :cry:

As you probably know, we already talked about it before, there is a popular tool provided by the Internet Archive, called Wayback machine, and it allows users to "go back in time" and view snapshots of websites as they appeared in the past. Many of us have used the Wayback Machine to revisit the old official website. However, a recent security incident made the website unavailable and scared for all the memories that were still saved might be gone... :cry:

Yesterday, October 9, 2024, the website suffered a significant data breach, deleting thousands and thousands of websites and exposing over 31 million user records. The stolen data, which included email addresses, screen names, timestamps for password changes. Visitors to the site were met with a JavaScript alert mentioning the breach and referencing the “Have I Been Pwned” (HIBP) service, where affected users could check if their data was exposed. :cry:

The data, which had a most recent timestamp of September 28, 2024, was later confirmed to be valid by cybersecurity expert Troy Hunt. Shortly after the breach disclosure, the site suffered a DDoS attack claimed by the hacktivist group “BlackMeta,” resulting in significant downtime. A lot of snapshots were lost and people who very recently visited the website with an account created are advised to change passwords if they're simple enough to ensure you won't get your data stolen.

The URL to the old official website isn't working. :cry:

I hope that the old website wasn't one of the websites affected, otherwise... :cloud:
ImageImage
juleic1123
Site Admin

Re: Update on Waybackmachine

Postby korolyova » Thu Oct 10, 2024 8:59 pm

Never understood why people are so mean :(
I hope that everything is gonna be okay, I really do...
korolyova

Postby juleic1123 » Fri Oct 11, 2024 12:20 am

korolyova wrote:Never understood why people are so mean :(
I hope that everything is gonna be okay, I really do...

Same thing here, I'm so concerned. :(

What do they gain from destroying it??
ImageImage
juleic1123
Site Admin

Postby juleic1123 » Sun Oct 13, 2024 1:05 am

The Internet Archive will come back within “days” following a cyberattack that brought down the organization’s vast digital library and the Wayback Machine, according to an update from founder Brewster Kahle.

“The data is safe. Services are offline as we examine and strengthen them. Sorry, but needed. @internetarchive staff is working hard. Estimated Timeline: days, not weeks,” writes Kahle.

ImageImage
juleic1123
Site Admin

Postby juleic1123 » Tue Oct 15, 2024 11:24 am

WEB ARCHIVE IS BACK! :ahhh:
ImageImage
juleic1123
Site Admin

Return to Chatta